This is the perfect mid-week treat. It's super healthy, tasty and makes use of a lot of store-cupboard ingredients.
- 3 green (unripe) bananas, skinned and chopped into chunks
- 50g creamed coconut, cut into small chunks
- 2 yellow peppers (cut into small chunked)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh grated (or finely chopped) ginger
- 400 ml water
- 400g new potatoes, cut into halves
- Juice of half a small lemon
- 1 tsp sugar
- Salt and pepper (to season)
- ½ tsp garam masala
- ½ tsp curry powder
- 2 tsp mustard seeds
- Yoghurt to serve
- Rice to serve
Boil the potatoes until tender.
While you wait for the potatoes to cook, heat up 2 tbsp of oil in a frying pan on a medium heat. Add the chopped onion and peppers to the pan. Cover with a lid and cook for 5-10 minutes, until the vegetables are soft.
Add the ginger, garlic, garam masala, curry powder and mustard seeds to the pan. Fry for a 2-3 minutes, but make sure they don't burn!
Add the water, potatoes, creamed coconut, sugar, lemon juice and banana to the pan. Cook on a low heat for 5-10 minutes and season with salt and pepper. This is also a good time to put on your rice, as white rice normally takes around 10 minutes too!
When both the rice and curry are done serve up with a dollop of fresh yoghurt on each portion.
- 350 Calories
Nutrition values are for the curry only, not the rice.