Fresh Tomato Soup
A classic fresh tomato soup to enjoy whatever the season! Trialled and tested, you can't go wrong with this recipe.
- 2 sticks of celery, finely chopped
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced finely
- 3 cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed/finely chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 450g/1lb fresh ripe tomatoes, halved
- 1 litre/1¾ pint of vegetable stock
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- A handful fresh basil, shredded (optional)
Heat the oil in a large saucepan then add the onion, carrot, celery and garlic. Cover the pan with a lid and cook gently for 10-15 minutes until soft - you want it to get all sticky.
Next add the salt, pepper and tomatoes. If you prefer a sweeter soup this is also a good time to add some sugar if you like. Stir and cook for another 5 minutes.
Add the stock, bring to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes. Liquidise in a blender until smooth. If using the basil, stir in at the end for an aromatic flavour.
- 106 Calories
- 9.5g Carbohydrates
- 7.4g Fat
- 2.6g Fiber
- 1.8g Protein
- 0.95g Saturated fat
- 1675mg Sodium
- 4.95g Sugar
- 6.1g Unsaturated fat
I personally love some fresh croutons in my soup - just take a slice of your favourite bread, slice it into cubes then fry in a pan with some oil until nice and crispy. Then add them to the soup when its done.